Wednesday, January 1, 2014

My First Book Review : The Bible !

My First Book Review : The Bible !

I have decided to review my first book on this blog . I have chosen to review or write on the Bible !
First disclaimer that I have to express is that I am no Bible scholar or anything of that sort whatsoever! 
I just felt or got inspired this morning to express my views on the Bible ! That's it !
I grew up in a multi -racial , multi-religious , multi-culture country . So , from early childhood , it was natural to be exposed to all the multi people !
My schooling was done in a Christian brothers school . I enjoyed the stories from the Old testament and the New testament .  Personally , the life of Christ has always fascinated and excited me .
I read St. Luke's Gospel and found that easier to comprehend . Later , I found that St Luke too was a medical healer ! I . too am a medical doctor .
Firstly , the Bible is a wonderfully interesting story ! As a child hearing the many adventures and challenges that were experienced by Jesus kept me fascinated and in wonderment . Here was a simple person who was able to to see the common life of the people and their never ending struggles . He understood their plight as he grew among them . Yet , he saw everything from a very different perspective . As he walked about seeing and meeting the common people he was able to understand the wants and needs of the people .
His Divine mission and being a spiritual being is a topic that is beyond my scope here.
What fascinates me is his very simple way of connecting with the ordinary people and able to express , teach or show by example a wonderful way of living . He spoke in ways that make very good common sense .
The many parables or stories of those times are really lessons in Human behaviour . He is a Master Psychologist !
Let me share some of those parables : Here , Jesus is walking with his friends/ followers or what ever term we want to give them . As they are walking on this highway , they come across a wounded man on the side of the road . He was badly injured or hurt . He was in pain and needed help urgently . Jesus being a very compassionate and loving person who was able to see every one as one immediately went towards the wounded man to help . It is a naturally  Human instinct . However , his friends cautioned him against helping the poor wounded person ! The reason being that he was from a different tribe / village/ race or whatever . Jesus was very upset with their attitude . Today , most of us will be !
So , he had to teach them that we are all One Beings. We are all brothers/sisters of the one Human family . That was taught over 2000 years ago ! That is a truth that is timeless for all of us .
We, today , are no different from the people who walked with Jesus that day ! We are all so full of differences, prejudices and bias feelings to so many people who look or are different from us .
That simple parable is still absolutely relevant today as it was then .
On another occasion , Jesus was again walking about on a holiday or more correctly a Holly- day. I day to stop doing worldly work and pray or remember God . A wonderful way to live . Work and rest to have a balanced living . Nothing wrong with that . However, on that day, a poor farmer had other worries and concerns ! His cow/calf had fallen into a hole of some sort . The poor animal was hurt and in pain. Not taking the animal  out soon was not an option. The animal was badly hurt and weak . It was dying . People refused to do anything as it was a Holly-day and the priests were very strict and rigid with their rules ! Jesus , again had to explain to the people the common sense of understanding the reality of the situation . He had to tell them , that if the animal is not taken out of the hole , it will die .
That too is a parable that shows how we become so rigid and dogmatic to beliefs and traditions that we simply forget to see what needs to be done in the present now ! We are facing the same today .
Bureaucracy and what we call red tape is sometimes unbelievable .
I can go on and show that all the wonderful teachings and parables of Jesus are timeless truths and realities that are still relevant today as it was then .
To me the Bible is a wonderful prescription book that we need to understand and apply to our life !
Jesus Christ is a Master Healer who heals from many angels ! We need to open our heart , eyes and more to understand the mission of  Christ .
With this I will end my first book review . I think I took quite a challenge starting this way !
Thank you for reading . Til we meet again .
Dr Dhali /Amar.

No comments:

Post a Comment